About Me

A college senior majoring in nutrition. Vegetarian, runner and coffee drinker. Lover of good wine, good reads and good music. On the road to recovery from anorexia.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Spring has sprung!

Gosh can it be spring already? Here in Jersey we've had a rather mild winter so its as if spring already spring back in January. With spring break behind me, that only leaves about four weeks of the spring semester. I need a break from all the busy work and studying of school. Recently, I received a shipment from a company called Dr. Kracker. There were a total of four snackers: seedlander, klassic 3 seed, cherry semolina and fire roasted , and two crisp breads: Pumpkin Seed Cheddar and Klassic 3 Seed. Overall I really enjoyed the few that I samples as well as my parents. The snackers were a bit tough but my mom put them in a bowl of soup and they softened up a bit and were quite great. Each serving of crackers are packed with protein, fiber, essential fatty acids and contain between 12 and 21 grams of whole grains per serving. 




The Pumpkin Seed Cheddar was by far my favorite flavor and combined a nice crunch with a nutty flavor and cheesy flavor of cheddar that isn't too overpowering. I personally love crunchy foods and any fan of of crunchy foods who is looking for a healthy snack would agree as well. Each cracker has 100 calories, 5g of fat, 13 carbs, 3g fiber and 6g protein.


The Klassic 3 Seed was a hearty cracker much like the pumpkin seed cheddar is with a rich nutty tastes. Each crisp bread contains 100 calories, 4g fat, 11g carbs, 3g fiber and 5g protein.


The seedlander cracker was quite tough and a hard cracker. Unfortunately, you must have a good strong pair of teeth for these crackers. My mom and dad tried these and they would agree and dipped them into their soup which softened the crackers up a bit. Both my parents agreed that the flavor provided a wholesome nutty and hearty taste. A serving is 8 pieces containing 100 calories, 4.5g fat, 14g carb, 3g fiber and 5g of protein.

The cherry semolina cracker was surprisingly a crunchy and a bit hard. They were hard at first but it was as if my mouth was getting some exercise. It had a wheat flavor with the perfect hint of sweetness from the cranberry flavor. I tired them plain and thought they were different than any cracker I had ever tasted before but defiantly worth it. I wish they weren't so tough as my mom thought she was going to break a tooth.

The fire roasted cracker had a spicy flavor to the cracker which was a change from the nutty taste of the other  flavors I had tasted. Overall I enjoyed this flavor quite nicely. An 8 cracker serving contains 115 calories, 4g fat, 16g carbs, 1g fiber and 4g of protein.

Overall I really liked these unusual crackers. If they were a bit thinner they wouldn't have been so tough but personally I enjoy tough crunchy snacks. Im always on the lookout for healthy whole grain, high protein and high fiber snacks and these fit the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment